Sunday, February 1, 2009

Is it just me?

I was pondering the other day, whilst at work (as I often do) about my life. I wonder what are things about me that I want my kids to know. What experiences have I had, what have I learned that will help them in life. I keep coming back to this story, so I hope you will bear with me as I tell you about young love.

The place- church.

The time- after the weekly activity (probably around 8pm).

My age- 14

Yes, we were in the church, all hanging out, talking after an activity (and no, I don't remember what we did that night- I only vividly remember what happened after). A new guy- we'll call him Matt (since that is his name) came to the activity. I was totally excited. I had been jonesing on him since he moved in and couldn't wait to have a chance to talk to him.

Well, the opportunity came. We kind of split off from the group, just the 2 of us, Matt and me. Of course we were in the same large room as the rest of the teenagers, but we were off to the side getting to know each other (no seriously, we really were talking, no lip connections were involved). I had the sniffles that night, which I will attribute to a looming cold, but really I can't be sure of that since I also have allergies and it could have also been caused by overactive teenage emotions (ie I cried at the drop of a hat when I was younger). Whatever the cause, I was sniffing like a crazy lady, when all of a sudden...


*



*



*


*


*


*


*

I totally blew a snot bubble. I really wish I was kidding. But alas, I am not. In front of my young crush I embarrassed myself beyond measure. At least I thought I had, until I realized that I could do much worse. That's when it happened. Without any control or thought I said (maybe because I thought it would make it better), "Don't worry, it happens all the time."

Here I am, just having blown a snot bubble at my future husband (no not really- Pretty sure he could never forget the snot bubble story and couldn't say "I do" without thinking about it, so it wasn't meant to be), he is looking at me like, "somebody get me away from this girl," and all I can say is, "Don't worry, it happens all the time."

IN WHAT UNIVERSE DOES THAT MAKE IT BETTER?

Why would telling him that I have a chronic booger bubble problem make this any less embarrassing, for either of us? In fact, I'd venture to say that my comment solidified the fact that we never were to date, kiss, or get married. I guess I should be grateful. Could I really have ended up with a squeamish guy for eternity? I think not.

The hubby puts up with all of my oddities and loves the booger bubble story. He even will tell people to ask me about it, just so he can make sure the story lives in infamy. Now that you know- this story will NEVER die.

So now you know- I am a walking embarrassing moment. This kind of stuff happens to me all the time and usually my comments afterward make matters worse. You'd think I'd learn, but I don't. Some day I will tell you about the kite-flying blind date, the groping apartment date, the chair dates to the dance, and having to ask multiple people to my senior prom before finally getting a date. I will let you choose. Which is the next embarrassing story you want to hear? Leave comments in the comment box and I will do my best to go with the masses.

Thanks for enjoying my embarrassments, now for the music-
Nothing Compares To U by Sinead O'Connor (the number 1 song of 1990- when I was 14).