Wednesday, February 11, 2009

After 10 years...he's still the one!

Yes, I know that is a totally cheesy title for this blog, but it will make sense when I tell you more...just be patient.

I have to give a little background to this story and then I will end with a shout-out/request to all of my family/friends/stalker/bbffs. How's that for an outline?

My parents are true romantics at heart. Since I was young my parents have celebrated Valentine's Month. Yes, they do something special for each other every day of the month. Since my b-day happens to fall during February I always felt a little jipped because my parents were getting presents on my birthday too. (I obviously would not make a good twin sister- Heidi, you are a saint in my eyes to share your special day with your sister.) So, some of the ideas can be as complex as a treasure hunt, lingerie (with all those ties and parts, it does get complex), or decorating a room with all hearts to just a simple card (the cards are done most of the month because how many ideas can we really come up with to be original?). Hallmark has not caught on to this very special idea (in which they could be making BANK) so when they buy cards they cross out "day" and write in "month." This has been going on for YEARS. I love hearing about all of the wonderful things my parents are doing. Even in years past they have enlisted our (their kids) help in whatever project/gift was for the other.

When I got married I was TOTALLY excited to have a lover to share VM with. Ummmm, until he told me he didn't want to do it. RUDE! He wanted to make our own traditions. Okay, so that makes sense, but what is so bad about carrying on some traditions from our respective families??? No, seriously, I'm asking? I think it was more out of being overwhelmed by the thought and having so much to live up to. Plus, I guess I didn't do a great job of explaining the "rules" very well and I think he was worried he had to build me the Taj Mahal or something. Such is NOT the case. It is just a special tradition to show the other person they are totally loved every day!

FINALLY, after almost 10 years of marriage it was HIS idea to "try" VM this year. We are having a GREAT time and I think he has totally gotten into it. I am a little suspicious that maybe he snuck a phonecall to my dad to get some ideas. If so, he is a smart one...way to be thinking and getting ideas from the man that started it all (yes, it was my dad's idea, not my mom's).

One day I came home from work to find hubby on the couch sleeping. I wondered why he wasn't in bed until I went to the room and found this...
He had filled a whole bunch of balloons, written messages on each one (like the stuff on converstation hearts) and even put in little notes from the kids INSIDE the balloons. SO FUN! I LOVED IT!

Although the cards can be a lot of fun to pick out and read and put little, special messages in (great for keepsakes, too) I am trying to be more creative at least a couple of times a week. So, I am working on a CD (y'all know how much I heart music) with all love songs. Such as "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain, which is the song we danced to at our reception (and just happens to be today's theme song). I also want to put on Shania Twain's "Still the One." So, comment people! I need help with this one. What are some of your favorite love songs? I am going to make the CD then put it in his car with a note about each song. What do you think? Too Cheesy? If so, PERFECT!